[Gllug] Patents *again*

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 23:20:15 UTC 2006

Peter,

I am not entirely unsympathetic to your view. However, I think that the
statement that "medical patents are killing people" is an over
simplification of the problem.

It's a well established argument for example that if there was not some
level of protection for the companies that produce the drugs, many drugs on
the market today might not have been developed. No one would spend billions
researching something if some startup can clone the drugs as soon as it
passes the trials.

I think the problem is more complicated than simply "medical patents being
bad".

Western society mainly consists of capitalist-democracies. At a national
level the democratic aspects are suppose to keep the capitalist aspects in
check. This doesn't always work so great, but does provide some level of
protection, for example we potect drug companies drugs but we put in a
safety net of the NHS in this country so that people who can't afford drugs
can (somtimes) get them.
Unfortunately capitalism has for some time been opperating at a global level
outside of the normal checks and balances. Microsoft is too big and powerful
for the EU or US to keep in check and a similar problem occurs in many
industries/cartels for example the music industry, the tobbaco industry, the
oil companies and of course the drug companies. All of these companies are
opperating on a global basis, but there is no global democratic body in
place to say that we should offer HIV drugs to africans at cost price or
free, for the good of the world.

Multinationals are playing the long game, they continue to lobby whilst
political parties in various countries come and go. They can also attempt to
export some of the most anti-consumer laws from the US across other
countries and the EU. They can also avoid national minimum wage laws, safety
regulation and unions by outsourcing to third world countries and in some
cases even exploit the lack of law and order to threaten and kill people
that get in their way. Some of these same multinationals win 'best business'
awards and are covered in the "FTSE-for-good" index and they have been known
to offer lucrative directorships to high profile x-politicians.

Where am I going with this? Well I'm not really going anywhere, I've just
had a couple of glasses of wine. But I suppose my point is that medical
patents are only a small part of the problem and are certainly not the
underlying cause of the worlds ills.

Regards,
Matt.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk