[Gllug] squid, load balancing

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jan 16 14:18:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:54:30AM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for advice on scaling a website (openstreetmap.org) above
> one box as we're hitting quite high load. The current topology is a db
> machine, the web server www, a tile server for imagery and a machine
> with backup harddrive space. Everything runs debian and apache2.
>
> We're using squid to do some caching but it really isn't fun to
> configure from my limited experience. Are there other things to consider
> apart from squid? What are the options for load balancing?

LVS works well for load balancing, though you need an extra tool to do
the monitoring to test (and drop) dead servers from the cluster.
ldirectord works well enough for that, though there is also keepalived
which also lets you create clusters of arbitrary numbers of
load-balancers.

If you want not only load-balancing but HA load-balancers (the truly
robust solution), then the most common Linux solutions are
LVS+keepalived or LVS+ldirectord+heartbeat.  Hearttbeat works adequately
for twin load-balancers and not well at all for more.  It does have the
advantage of being simpler than keepalived.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick