[Gllug] laptop & data projector

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 12:15:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:16:11AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> So, what I said above used to apply when under X too, however since I upgraded
> from my old RHEL distro with XFree86 to new FC4 with x.org I have totally different
> behaviour. If sometime is plugged into the VGA port when X starts up the display
> is automatically shown on the external device & the laptop screen blanked - even
> pressing Fn+F7 won't cycle between them. To get different behaviour there are
> about 5 custom x.org settings for the radeon graphics driver that give me laptop
> only, vga only, laptop+vga cloned, laptop+vga with xinerama, laptop+vga merged
> but not xinerama, laptop+vga merged with psuedo-xinerma. Nice & simple huh ?

Any idea where those might be documented ?

> Still not figured out how to just get the Fn+F7 keys working again to cycle between
> different settings :-(

Playing with those keys (Fn+F6) doesn't work/do_anything. I have a hazy recollection
that it did several years ago, but am not sure.

> > Question: Anyone know how I can get it to display the same image on the screen
> > and on the data projector ?
>
> So in summary, this is almost certainly dependant on the type of graphics
> card in your laptop & what x.org driver you're using for it. Any idea what
> it is ?

VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 31)

In xorg.conf I have:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"