[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 8 00:51:50 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 Jul 2006 20:02, M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 08:52 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> > Still it should be possible given the terms of the Microsoft EULA -
> > particularly if you point out that you absolutely intend to require them
> > to honour the requirement to refund you so they can save the time and
> > effort it will cost them up front.
>
> Oooh, now THAT is a good point, and I think it might fly legally too.

It used to, but now the EULA ties the "operating system" to the hardware
(probably in readiness for that nonsense "Palladium"), and to return one, you
have to return the other...

A number of American LUGs organised "Refund Days" where they'd bombard
computer suppliers with demands for refunds for their unused "operating
systems".  They used to be quite successful, but since the EULA changed,
you're virtually forced to take the Gatesware if you want the hardware.

In some instances, your Warranty is void if you delete the Windows partition,
and most manufacturers don't provide support for Linux.

The current MS EULA is actually unenforceable in the EU (I'm informed by my
lawyer nephew) under a huge list of statutes - everything from infringing
Human Rights to discriminatory trading practise.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk