[Gllug] ADSL router/firewall/wireless/modem recommendations

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Fri Jul 21 20:16:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 10:10:29AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 21 Jul, Branden Faulls wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a decent ADSL modem/router/firewall/wireless
> > access point?  I'm specifically interested in:
> >
> > * 4 port switch
> > * 802.11g
> > * VPN pass through
> > * Ability to separate/isolate the wired and wireless networks
> > * Ability to set up a DMZ
> > * Ability to configure pinholes between the various networks
> > * Reasonable firewall configuration with minimal faff
> >
> > Most of these features come standard on the
> > Belkin/Netgear/DLink/Linksys kit, but the details on isolating wired
> > from wireless seems sketchy. Anyone have experience with these?
> >
> > The whole setup is meant to replace my current 4 machine setup which
> > consumes more power than Las Vegas.
> >

>    I have an ADSL modem with single ethernet output which feeds into an
> ancient low power 100MHz Pentiom box running IPCop which can do all of that
> and more, it runs the snort intrusion detection system, produces logs, etc.
>
> http://www.ipcop.org

My current setup is an ADSL modem, P90 in a 2U rackmount running Smoothwall, a wired
switch and a wireless AP.  This is an awful lot of clobber.  Was
hoping to consolidate to something smaller, quieter, cooler,  and less
power hungry.

That said, there's a lot of power in this type of setup.

Thanks

Branden

--
Branden Faulls