[Gllug] ADSL router/firewall/wireless/modem recommendations

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 20:29:27 UTC 2006

On Fri 21 Jul, Branden Faulls wrote:

> My current setup is an ADSL modem, P90 in a 2U rackmount running Smoothwall, a wired
> switch and a wireless AP.  This is an awful lot of clobber.  Was
> hoping to consolidate to something smaller, quieter, cooler,  and less
> power hungry.
>
> That said, there's a lot of power in this type of setup.
>
> Thanks
>
> Branden

   IPCop is a spin-off from Smoothwall, apparently after a disagreement
between the development team members. The last time I looked, there had been
no further development of Smoothwall. IPCop can now handle four interfaces
with configurable access rules, green to your protected network, orange DMZ
for webservers, etc, red for the internet, and blue for wireless. The
minimum requirement is 486, 12MB RAM, and a small hard disc, but anything
more is a bonus. The intrusion detection system snort has very frequent
rules updates available, and there is a stated future development plan.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk