[Gllug] IBM Thinkpads and Linux

Richard Cosgrove richard.cosgrove at journalist.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 11:57:11 UTC 2006

Hello,

I was directed here by someone at the Open Tech Support website. If
this is the wrong mailing list, sorry.

I'm looking at buying an IBM Thinkpad laptop - either a 600E or 600X
model - in the next few days.

As I'll be using this for word processing and accessing the internet
at hot-spots, and being tired of I'm tired of Windows and having
little spare money, I'm considering installing a Linux distribution on
it rather than getting hold of a new copy of Windows.

It'll be running OpenOffice, Firefox, a USB stick, and a wireless internet.

As I have zero experience with using Linux, let alone installing it
(I'm OK with XP and Mac OS X) I was wondering if someone here could
give me some plain English advice in going about this.

Any tips on which distribution (preferably a very friendly one), where
to get drivers, hassles will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

- Richard Cosgrove
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk