[Gllug] ADSL router/firewall/wireless/modem recommendations

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 20:48:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 09:29:27PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 21 Jul, Branden Faulls wrote:
>>

>> My current setup is an ADSL modem, P90 in a 2U rackmount running Smoothwall, a wired
>> switch and a wireless AP.  This is an awful lot of clobber.  Was
>> hoping to consolidate to something smaller, quieter, cooler,  and less
>> power hungry.
>>
>> That said, there's a lot of power in this type of setup.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Branden
>
>    IPCop is a spin-off from Smoothwall, apparently after a disagreement
> between the development team members. The last time I looked, there had been
> no further development of Smoothwall.

Hi
Just to clarify, the GPL version of Smoothwall is pretty much dead.
The last release was back in 2003.

But there is also Smoothwall Ltd that sells a range of closed commercial
versions.

Anyone running an old GPL version of Smoothwall really should switch
to either the commercial version or the GPL'ed IPCop.

> IPCop can now handle four interfaces
> with configurable access rules, green to your protected network, orange DMZ
> for webservers, etc, red for the internet, and blue for wireless. The
> minimum requirement is 486, 12MB RAM, and a small hard disc, but anything
> more is a bonus.

If you have a busy ADSL connection, the effective minimum for IPCop
would be a Pentium 75MHz with 32MB RAM and a 1GB disk. Anything slower
may have problems generating the traffic graphs, and you will have to
edit cron to reduce the frequency.

> The intrusion detection system snort has very frequent
> rules updates available, and there is a stated future development plan.

The only thing I can say on the topic is that I would recommend against
the DLink 604. It's been a pain to setup the wireless with Mac OS X.
The ADSL side is fine though.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk