[Gllug] Rescue disks

john levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Jul 25 10:46:52 UTC 2006

andrew-li at black1.org.uk wrote:
> I am using Knoppix 3.6 as a rescue disc for a failed machine and
> have some questions
>  - is there a better dist/disk available. I find the knopix seems
>    to load everything but the kitchen sink (eg apache, mysql)
>
>  - can any disk write to NTFS partitions

3.6 is very old; the latest is 5.01. There have been considerable
improvements, to just about everything, including NTFS recognition. The
latest Knoppix comes with Captive NTFS, which uses Wine and MS drivers.
I read recently that NTFS support under linux has recently improved
dramatically, but I don't know of any rescue cd that has integrated it yet.
http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

HTH

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk