[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Jul 6 07:52:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, M.Blackmore wrote:

> Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?
> Any one had any luck getting a Dell out of Michael of that ilk WITHOUT
> the Microsnot crap upon it? I've a legit untied copy of XP Pro doing
> nowt if I want to dual boot it (haven't had windows running for a couple
> of months now, and then only to pull some old wordprocessing files out
> of an old wp format) and probably don't want to install that anyway.
>
> HOW do I get them to take more dosh off? Its XP Home, which I consider
> even more useless than Pro. I installed Pro a few months ago for the
> first time in a few years, and thought it was dire, and the installation
> process was an utter pain in driver hell etc.

For their servers it's as easy as stating it in the order. I think however
that it would take more effort with their consumer products.

Still it should be possible given the terms of the Microsoft EULA -
particularly if you point out that you absolutely intend to require them
to honour the requirement to refund you so they can save the time and
effort it will cost them up front.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk