[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 08:00:51 UTC 2006

On 06/07/06, Jason Clifford <jason at ukpost.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, M.Blackmore wrote:
>
> > Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?
> > Any one had any luck getting a Dell out of Michael of that ilk WITHOUT
> > the Microsnot crap upon it? I've a legit untied copy of XP Pro doing
> > nowt if I want to dual boot it (haven't had windows running for a couple
> > of months now, and then only to pull some old wordprocessing files out
> > of an old wp format) and probably don't want to install that anyway.
> >
> > HOW do I get them to take more dosh off? Its XP Home, which I consider
> > even more useless than Pro. I installed Pro a few months ago for the
> > first time in a few years, and thought it was dire, and the installation
> > process was an utter pain in driver hell etc.
>
> For their servers it's as easy as stating it in the order. I think however
> that it would take more effort with their consumer products.
>
> Still it should be possible given the terms of the Microsoft EULA -
> particularly if you point out that you absolutely intend to require them
> to honour the requirement to refund you so they can save the time and
> effort it will cost them up front.

I tried it with a desktop machine bought as a server here...  I didn't
place the order, so I couldn't ask explicitly for it without Windows,
but once it came, I tried to get them to acknowledge that I hadn't
accepted the EULA and that I was therefore due a refund.

I got nowhere.  The poor support people in Singapore had not the
slightest clue what I was talking about, didn't seem to understand the
idea of a computer without Windows, and obviously had absolutely no
way to process a refund.  I gave up after a few calls - stopped
wasting my time and theirs and just got on and installed Slackware on
the machine :-)

Cheers
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk