[Gllug] Speakers for August GLLUG Meeting

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Tue Jul 11 21:11:41 UTC 2006

Hello,

In the next day or so I'm going to send out the announcements for the
next GLLUG meeting. It is on Saturday 12th August (with the trip to
Bletchley Park and LUG Radio Live in July we aren't going to attempt a
technical meeting this month).

One very valid criticism of the last meeting in July [0] was that none
of the talks were aimed at novice or intermediate GNU/Linux users (which
they weren't to be honest). With that in mind I am asking for the
following from the LUG.

Each meeting from now on will have a speaker covering a topic aimed at
people who have a) installed Linux a couple of times b) found their way
around the system using the GUI and c) motivated themselves to come to a
meeting.

The presentations would be along the line of:

* Backing your system up using tar
* Software management using rpm, deb, apt and yum
* Basic Linux Security
* Introduction to bash scripting
* Setting up DNS/DHCP/MySQL

I'm hoping that there will be a lot of people in the group that will be
able to provide a 15 minute talk on these kinds of subject and then
answer some questions on them. I'll prepare a talk on something similar
soon as well.

If you would like to speak at Augusts meeting on any of the above or
another suitable subject or you would like to nominate a subject for
someone to present please reply to this thread or mail me offlist if you
prefer.

Thanks!

~sm

[0]