[Gllug] Problem compiling slackware pkg

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Jul 11 19:35:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 05:08:10PM +0600, Emon wrote:
> 1) Minimal customization
> 2) Non-bleeding edge
>
> So different is Debain??

If you want to know about Debians policies you're best reading their Social
Contract as a first step.

> How difficult will it be to compile pkgs from source??

That depends on whether you want to compile a program which has been
packaged by Debian or whether you want to download from upstream and compile
that.

Compiling Debian source packages is pretty painless. It's described in the
Debian [1] APT-HOWTO.

If you want to compile everything from scratch then maybe you're better off
with Linux From Scratch [2] or Core Linux [3]. Both of which will give you
total control over what is on your computer. Personally I've used Core and
found it a good learning exercise. I then wiped the machine and installed
Ubuntu. There's no way that on a day to day basis I could cope with Core or
LFS on a desktop. You may have time on your hands waiting for stuff to compile,
I don't.

> How much patching does Debain pkgs go through?? OR how much
> customization does Debain do??

Debian do apply some customization / patches to packages. How much I don't
know and to be honest I don't care. It works (for me).

> How difficult it is to compiling a custom kernel in Debain?? do I have
> to go through a lot of patching & stuff like that??

There are guides [4] online.

> How often do things break if you upgrade from one release to another??

I have upgraded my Debian server only once. It went without a hitch. I have
upgraded many other machines running Debian and Debian derived distros (such
as Ubuntu) with few major problems. The odd issue can occur, but nothing
that was insurmountable.

> notice in mailing lists, problems about Ubuntu upgrades, thus the question.

..and I've seen one individual from Bangladesh have problems with
Slackware on multiple mailing lists and discussion forums over the
last year or so..

> Beside I once read somewhere (can't remember exactly though) that
> popularity of Debain fork like Ubuntu may actually be counter productive
> to the original distro (Debain) as more & more developers might start to
> focus on making pkgs more compatible with the fork rather than the
> original distor. How true is this claim??

This and the rest of your mail is just a troll.
You've been slapped down in the past on other lists
for trying to get people going like this, it doesn't work and won't help you
to get answers to your questions.

Cheers,
Al.

[0] http://www.debian.org/social_contract