[Gllug] [rant] Dear Linux Kernel Release Team....

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 17:00:47 UTC 2006

On 7/27/06, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:

> I never did quite get the story on why we don't have a 2.7 development
> series and therefore new stuff is being churned into an even numbered
> series.  Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

The basic reason was that it wasn't working. LWN covered the details here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/95312/

It was later decided that we did need a more stable set of kernels for
production use, hence the introduction of the 4 part kernel numbers,
which are deemed to be stable versions of the corresponding 3 part
versions. They only contain critical fixes, and no new features.

Of course, you could argue that most of the problems would have been
irrelevant if the gap between successive stable series was much
smaller (say, 6 months or so, rather than the 2 years it took to get
from 2.2 to 2.4, and nearly 3 years from 2.4 to 2.6). But it wasn't to
be, despite pressure from numerous parties to make it so.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk