[Gllug] [rant] Dear Linux Kernel Release Team....

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jul 27 16:09:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:03:03PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> I never did quite get the story on why we don't have a 2.7 development
> series and therefore new stuff is being churned into an even numbered
> series.  Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

I think that the problem was that 2.4 -> 2.6 took far too long, with the result that
all the distros released different kernels, 2.4.X with stuff backported from 2.6.
Much more work for everyone and big delays at getting exciting new stuff into your distro.

However: the distros tend to freeze you at whatever 2.6 kernel was out at the time
that the release happened and then backport fixes ... they don't want to break your
existing 'stable' system with wackey new kernel stuff; very laudable but still
not quite right. I suppose it isn't quite as bad as what was happening.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>