[Gllug] desktop distro with "will just work" 54g support

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Jul 9 15:55:36 UTC 2006

Alan Pope wrote:
> You might like to point out that the vast majority of modern hardware
> doesn't "Just Work[tm]" on windows either!

You are entirely correct.

> Challenge him to take a vanilla XP CD and install it by way of a
> comparision. I'd be willing to bed he'd need drivers from 3rd party vendors
> for at least the bluetooth (if available), video, wireless and possibly
> other bits and bobs.

He's not technical, he just wants to pop in the install CD and have it
all running with the minimum of fuss.  Whilst I'm happy to recommend a
distro to him, I'm not so close a friend that I want to become his
personal unpaid Linux consultant. :)  His laptop, of course, was
pre-installed with Windows so had all the right stuff put on for him.

I _know_ this is not any distros fault.  The manufacturers of most 54g
wireless kit have taken the legally safer route of not opening up the
specs so truely open drivers aren't yet possible.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk