[Gllug] desktop distro with "will just work" 54g support

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Jul 9 23:26:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 04:55:36PM +0100, Martin Brooks wrote:
> He's not technical, he just wants to pop in the install CD and have it
> all running with the minimum of fuss.  Whilst I'm happy to recommend a
> distro to him, I'm not so close a friend that I want to become his
> personal unpaid Linux consultant. :)  His laptop, of course, was
> pre-installed with Windows so had all the right stuff put on for him.

I get a bit of this.  For instance back when I was working at Red Hat
I got someone who asked me to install RH on his laptop, got pissed off
because he couldn't run some Windoze-only and notoriously spyware
riddled "peer-to-peer" program so he could rip off music, and then had
the audacity to ask me to get him to install [an illegal copy of]
Windows back on the box.  I told him where to go.  I had another
"friend" demandinge similar stuff very recently.

I now ask myself: Are these people going to become valuable
contributing members of the Linux community?  I don't mean will they
become geeky coders; but they might, for instance, contribute well-
written bug reports, or write documentation, or perhaps even draw some
pretty icons.

In most cases, the answer is no - they'll be a drag on the community,
expecting everything, including endless support for free and giving
nothing back.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.