[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 12:13:02 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, M.Blackmore <mblackmore at oxlug.org> wrote:
> Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

It occurs to me that this is a classic situation where aggregation
would work a charm.  Assuming the correct legal construct could be
found to do it.

I'd imagine in the USA you might have some grounds for something like
a class-action suit by a group of Linux users who were unable (within
reasonable effort) to get the refund/discount, or something.

However ....

Can you legally re-sell the Windows licence, without accepting the terms of it?

* Setup non-profit / charity for the purpose
* Linux users sell redundant M$ licence to this non-profit for 1p, via
ebay or similar
* Include the licence key/number in the sale documentation

With 1000 such licences in hand, and assuming said non-profit can get
the refund somehow in bulk, the same non-profit would then keep the
profits to put to some good use.

* I'm giving something away I can't actually use or (easily) get a refund for.
* Non-Profit gains some cash for a good cause
* Makes for a nice story in the press

I'm wondering if something like this wouldn't be perfect for
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/

If nothing else, how about a Register of Un-used Windows Licences Website?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk