[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Jul 6 23:58:21 UTC 2006

M.Blackmore wrote:
> HOW do I get them to take more dosh off? Its XP Home, which I consider
> even more useless than Pro. I installed Pro a few months ago for the
> first time in a few years, and thought it was dire, and the installation
> process was an utter pain in driver hell etc.
>
> Any tips or precedents anyone know of?

I've never actually bought a Dell machine for personal use, always found
better value elsewhere - but I have, over the years, bought machines for
work use ( servers, workstations, laptops ) - and getting them without
Windows was as simple as telling the account exec at Dell's end to ship
the machine with FreeDOS. The discount you get might not be much - iirc,
in the region of £40 - £45.

Their main issue is that they cant ( or dont want to ) ship a machine
out without an OS.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk