[Gllug] DNS question

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 19:38:46 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 20:08 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>

>>On 7/2/06, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
>>        I am just trying to avoid embarrassing somebody else. That
>>        isn't the
>>        domain I am really trying to fix
>>

>>"I have a problem with something DNS related.  I'm not going to give
>>you any information that's real, I'm going to make vague wild guesses
>>about what I think the problem might be, fake information reported by
>>DNS tools and hope that's enough to get things sorted out.  Hope you
>>can help me!  Love Adrian."
>>

> Actually, read my email again. I asked a very specific question about
> DNS A records being assigned to subnets. The fact that you chose to
> ignore that and attempt to answer another question is your problem not
> mine.

He does have a point though. Where DNS is concerned it is extremely hard
to help someone who won't divulge all the information. The bind mailing
list is full of complaints from potential helpers when people ask
questions and obfuscate the information.

And although you asked about records pointing to subnets, the "example"
you gave, where the output of dig had clearly been edited, did not show
this. If you had provided real data, we could have checked.

See my other reply, which I sent before seeing this exchange.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk