[Gllug] traffic shaper

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Sat Jul 15 11:31:16 UTC 2006

On 10:43 Sat 15 Jul     , Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Julian Somers wrote:
>
> > My advice has been sought on replacing an old Allot NetEnforcer traffic
> > shaper, that can't properly handle multicast streams, with an Open Source
> > solution.
> >
> > They are all set to use MasterShaper [www.mastershaper.org], which I am
> > a little wary of, mainly due to reliance on php/mysql.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience of MasterSHaper? Or another similar
> > solution? It needs to offer configuration via web interface.
>
> What's wrong with it using PHP/MySQL? It will only be for the UI wont it?

I thought MySQL was overkill. I was hoping to run the shaper on a diskless
machine booting from flash ram or cd.

But I must confess I didn't look at it very carefully before posting:
storing the configuration and accounting in MySQL on a different server
could be useful for failover. And it might be possible to use SQLite
locally instead.

thanks, Julian

> The actual function of the device will be unaffected so long as the
> created rulesets are right.
>
> Jason
>
> --

Julian Somers