[Gllug] Problem compiling slackware pkg

Emon emon at nerdshack.com
Tue Jul 11 11:08:10 UTC 2006

On 07/11/2006 03:31 AM, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 00:50 +0600, Emon wrote:
>> Now I am trying to make a "lsdvd-0.16" pkg but "./configure" gives error
>> about header files.
>
>> checking for DVDOpen in -ldvdread... yes
>
> So, it found the actual library...
>
>> checking for dvdread/ifo_read.h... no
>
> ...but not a header file
>
>> configure: error: Header files for dvdread not found
>
>> sh-3.00# ls /usr/include/dvdread/
>> cmd_print.h  dvd_reader.h  ifo_print.h  ifo_read.h  ifo_types.h
>> nav_print.h  nav_read.h  nav_types.h
>> sh-3.00#
>> ***********************
>>
>> So I tired "./configure --includedir=/usr/include/dvdread"
>>
>> But it is still giving me the same error??!!!
>
> The include directory to specify isn't necessarily the directory that
> contains the header. If the source file that's referencing the header
> contains (as I suspect it might) an include line like:-
>
> #include <dvdread/ifo_read.h>
>
> Then you'll need "./configure --includedir=/usr/include/" - it all
> depends on how the source file references the header.

well I found these lines in "/home/lsdvd-0.16/configure.in"

**************************
dnl Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_INIT(lsdvd.c)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(lsdvd, 0.16)
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
AC_PROG_CC

if eval "test x$GCC = xyes"; then # Enable warnings when using GCC
  CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -W -Wall"
fi

AC_CHECK_LIB(dvdread, DVDOpen, , AC_MSG_ERROR([libdvdread not found!]))
AC_MSG_CHECKING([for dvdread/ifo_read.h])
AC_TRY_COMPILE([#include <dvdread/ifo_read.h>
		#include <stdint.h>], ,
	AC_MSG_RESULT([yes]),
	AC_MSG_RESULT([no])
	AC_MSG_ERROR([Header files for dvdread not found]))
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)
**************************

So.. dose this give any clue as to how this pkg should be compiled??

>> Somebody suggested that I download the sources for these two pkgs again,
>> & give it a go, I did that but to no effect :-(
>>
>> Frustrated... & suspecting that I may have done something wrong during
>> compiling... I downloaded the  "libdvdread-0.9.5-i486-1kjz.tgz" &
>> "lsdvd-0.16-i486-1kjz.tgz" pkgs from <linuxpackages.net> and installed
>
> Many precompiled packages include binaries, but not header files, as
> they assume you're installing them as prerequisites for other binary
> packages, not to compile against. You might need to look for dev
> packages as well, though it's been a long time since I used Slackware,
> so I'm really not sure.
>
>> My questions is what on earth could possibly be wrong with this
>> "libdvdread" pkg?? or could it be because I omitted some pkgs during
>> installation..
>
> Possibly because you omitted development packages. However I'll repeat
> what I said earlier - you should either prepare yourself for a
> frustrating experience learning quite a lot about how the compiler,
> linker, and autotools behave or you should switch distribution.

Not that I don't want to learn about compilers... but it's about time
that I got to know another distro, cos slackware is the only distro I
ever got familiar with cos of the two basic policies it follows....

1) Minimal customization
2) Non-bleeding edge

So different is Debain??

How difficult will it be to compile pkgs from source??

How much patching does Debain pkgs go through?? OR how much
customization does Debain do??

How difficult it is to compiling a custom kernel in Debain?? do I have
to go through a lot of patching & stuff like that??

How often do things break if you upgrade from one release to another??
in slackware upgrading was smooth as silk :-) I did (from time to time)
notice in mailing lists, problems about Ubuntu upgrades, thus the question.

Beside I once read somewhere (can't remember exactly though) that
popularity of Debain fork like Ubuntu may actually be counter productive
to the original distro (Debain) as more & more developers might start to
focus on making pkgs more compatible with the fork rather than the
original distor. How true is this claim??

According to distrowatch.com the latest stable release of Debain is 3.1
which was released on 06/June/2005!! A whole year has passed without
another stable release?? Even Slackware is not that lazy.. it usually
has at least one stable release per year... are Debain release cycles
really that lengthy?? or am I misunderstanding something here??

According to debian.org the latest update to 3.1 was made on April 19th,
2006. Dose this mean that after installing 3.1 I have to connect to the
internet & apply all the updates since 06/June/2005!! or is there any
iso of 3.1 with all the updates on it??

I guess that's enough babbling for one day...
Thanks anyway
Emon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk