[Gllug] VOIP Phone recommendation

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Jul 17 08:33:11 UTC 2006

I currently have Broadvoice VOIP service and my ATA just died a
miserable death.  This, along with a house move, has prompted me to
install and run Asterisk and I was wondering what recommendations people
might make on the hardware VOIP phone front.  I have looked at the
Grandstream line (101/102, gxp2000) and the Linksys/Sipura line as well
as others.  My budget is firmly restricted to the range of these two
phones or others of similar cost.  I also need to be able to attach
analog phones and want to be able to have asterisk manage my POTS line
as well.  To this end, I have looked at the Linksys/Sipura SPA-3000.
Any suggestions or comments on any of these phones would be helpful.  I
have been reading voip-info.org, but they don't seem to have too many
opinions towards what phone to buy as a starter set.  I have considered
buying one of the digium x400 cards (the dev kit with 1 FXO and 1 FXS
port) but it is twice as expensive as the SPA3000.

Thanks,

Andy Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk