[Gllug] [OT] Social networking

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Jul 31 15:22:58 UTC 2006

Simon Morris wrote:

>I think some sort of definition is needed :-)
>
>Do Flickr and Digg count as social networking sites? The term seems to
>be loose and open to misinterpretation.

I'd count MySpace as one. Something that creates a representation of
relationships between people in a relatively deliberate, and open
manner. I've not explored Flickr or Digg, so I can't comment on them.

For example, LinkedIn has a handshake system (invite, accept) for each
connection for each user in the network. Doubleclick's not a social
networking service in that its tracking isn't deliberate or open in any
sense; despite the fact that it relates people by common behaviour and
relationships.

Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk