[Gllug] OT acer laptop knackered

Peter Adamson peter.adamson at isode.com
Wed Jun 21 19:43:53 UTC 2006

I mention this as OT, on the grounds it's a hardware thing not a linux
thing.

Anyhow my laptops knakered.

The symptoms are:

1) The Bios has been reporting 1GB ram not 2GB.
(Swapped sodimms over everywhich way. I know which sodimm socket is broken).
This started  about 2 months ago where it would boot with 1 GB some of
the time. It's now totally gone.
So only 1GB for me now *sob*.

2)The BIOS no longer intialises the display / monitor.
Now this one is weird!.

The BIOS can't start the display, so you don't see a POST screen.
After a few seconds grub should appear (but doesn't - no shock there).
Then by selecting the windows xp partition and booting off that, windows
can start the display.....
Any ideas why?

Anyhow, does anyone know a good laptop repair guy?
Or where I can get a new motherboard & instructions on howto take my
latop to pieces?

BTW I have been googling around and so far have come up with this:
http://www.laptoprepair.co.uk/

I think you can see why I'm trying to find a laptop repair man who comes
recommended ;)

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 1522.

 Cheers,
Peter