[Gllug] Is it me or are the CPUs getting slower?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jun 2 16:06:44 UTC 2006

I've been trying for some time to install Etch (AMD64 flavour) on an
Athlon 64 3000+, but have been foiled by the fact that the installation
set doesn't seem to be complete.  I can install Etch x86 fine, and all
the desktop packages are there, but when I install Etch AMD64 I get told
that neither Gnome nor KDE can be installed because packages are
missing.

Anyway - that's a bit of an aside.  With all the recent fuss about the
new Ubuntu, and the fact that that comes in an AMD64 flavour, I thought
I'd give it a go.  It installed like a dream (*definitely* the smoothest
installation process for any operating system ever) but when I went to
ask it what it thought of my CPU I got a surprise.  It reports that the
CPU is running at 1 GHz and boasts barely 2000 Bogomips.  Now I know an
Athlon 64 3000+ doesn't run at 3 GHz, but I'm fairly certain that it
used to run at about 1.8 GHz and show a Bogomips rating of about 3500.
At least that's what I recall from when the same box was running x86
Sarge.

I've booted an x86 live CD and that reports the same CPU speed (1 GHz)
and Bogomips (~2000).

So, my questions are:

1) Does an Athlon 64 3000+ really only run at 1 GHz?

2) If not, what might have slowed mine down and how can I speed it up
again?

TIA,
John

--
John Winters, Wallingford, Oxon, England
i = (free (NULL); i++);

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk