[Gllug] arp problem?

Casper Gasper casper.gasper at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 13:05:18 UTC 2006

On 11/06/06, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 13:48 +0100, Casper Gasper wrote:

> > > Because the arp table ought to tell the kernel which MAC address to aim
> > > for
> >
> >   That won't work, I've thought that in the past but it doesn't.  The
> > arp table entry will send the packets to the machine, but when say a
> > ping packet goes through the TCP/IP stack, it will get discarded
> > because the destination IP address doesn't match the local ip -- or
> > else, forwarded if ip forwarding is enabled on the machine.
> >
> It does work.

 No, it doesn't!  To the extent that it ever worked in the past, it's
cause the machine had the right ip address assigned to it that happens
to be in your arp table.  I've been down this alley before, thinking
it will get me into embedded boxes like routers when I don't know the
ip address.  Don't believe me, try it for yourself -- find a machine
on your subnet you can ping, create an arp entry for the mac address
with a different ip address, and give it a go.

 Casper.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk