[Gllug] CPU speed oddness - was Is it me or are the CPUs getting slower?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 18:34:27 UTC 2006

I have noticed some strange things on my Xen box

The guests "correctly" identify the cpu speed but the BogoMips is all
wrong...

[root at list-serv ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 332.384
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mca cmov pat pse36 mmx
fxsr
bogomips        : 16.35

While the hypervisor seems to be overclocking the cpus

[root at noisybox ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 519.335
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
mmx fxsr
bogomips        : 1298.32

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 519.335
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
mmx fxsr
bogomips        : 1298.32

Will the cpuspeed daemon (this is FC5) do that? And given the bogomips
loop is so poorly calibrated on the guests, what problems can I expect
to see?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk