[Gllug] arp problem?

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 13:13:33 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin writes:

>I assign the attached device's IP addr using arp - I have this in
>rc.local:
>
>arp -s 192.168.61.55 00:d0:f1:03:12:b9

Actually, you're not assigning an IP to the Dreamcast with this. All
you're doing is putting an entry in the Ubuntu box's arp cache to say
that IP address 192.168.61.55 can be found at the given MAC address.
But that only affects the Ubuntu box. As far as the Dreamcast is
concerned, it doesn't have an IP address. You'd need ot be running
rarpd for the Dreamcast to get an IP.

>This seems to work well for a while but then the connection dies and the
>NFS share is lost and I have to reboot. On reboot the server (ie this
>box) reports that the IP 192.168.61.55 is unreachable (or rather pings
>disappear), even though it's still in the arp table:

Do you have serial console access to the Dreamcast at this point? Could
you run tcpdump on it to see what was happening?

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk