[Gllug] E-Mail screening and reverse DNS

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Jun 10 18:22:03 UTC 2006

Hi Guys, I run my own SMTP server (this message will come from it in a
moment) using Sendmail. DNS is hosted here and at another site. The top
priority MX record points to my sendmail set up here.

It's been working fine for a few years now with very few outages or
problems. However, one site I often send e-mail to has just recently
started rejecting my messages, and messages from there to here are also
rejected at their end. My messages just vanish into hyperspace without
response and theirs to here get the following response at their end:

Reporting-MTA: dns; ***smtp.******.net
Arrival-Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:42:24 +0100
Final-Recipient: RFC822; kens at kensnet.org
Action: delayed
Remote-MTA: DNS; kensnet.org
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:52:59 +0100
Will-Retry-Until: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:42:24 +0100
(I have noticed that something similar is happening when exchanging
messages with BT Internet recently.)

My guess is that the IT dept at the remote site have set up some
rigorous reverse DNS validation. The reverse DNS for here will be
ksmithdsl.claranet.co.uk. So the reverse DNS for my locally hosted
domain won't check out. My outgoing e-mail goes directly and not via
Clara's SMTP server.

So my question is: how is this dealt with? What do ISP's do, where, for
example I imagine that post.demon.co.uk will be the source and sink for
messages for all kinds of domains that Demon host for their clients. So
the reverse DNS lookup won't check out. Or am I just being dumb and
missing something obvious.....

Ken
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk