[Gllug] play midi files on Centos 4

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 21:06:27 UTC 2006

I have a midi file that I want to play.

I used to use playmidi but since an OS upgrade that is no longer available.
aplaymidi seems to be the thing to use, if I run it it asks me for the port
to use, I have tried all that are available (see below) without success.

I tried kmid, that gives me a nice gui that claims to be playing the file, but
I hear nothing (sound does work).

I am running Centos 4 (aka redhat enterprise 4). I know that my sound system works.

Can anyone please help ?

TIA

I can get a list of ports, but I have no idea what this means:

$ aplaymidi -l
 Port    Client name                      Port name
 64:0    EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmidi EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
 65:0    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 0
 65:1    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 1
 65:2    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 2
 65:3    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 3

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>