[Gllug] GLLUG Newsletter - 19/06/06

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 18:25:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:14:55 +0100 Simon Morris
<simon.morris at cmtww.com> wrote:

> 4. _Python Studygroup_
>
> A few years ago some members of GLLUG interested in the Python
> programming language setup a "GLLUG Python-Studygroup" mailing list.
>
> The idea of this list was to provide an environment where people who
> knew nothing about Python could learn about the language (It's fun and
> fairly easy to pick up), and people who had some knowledge could
> bounce ideas around.
>
> The list has been idle for about a year and I'd like to make people
> aware of it again. There are around 30 people on the list - if you
> fancy a new challenge join the list [4] and ask where to get started
> with Python.
>
> It's an learning environment and if it doesn't get used unfortunately
> it will soon cease to exist (which would be a shame)

Wouldn't this be more useful if it was a message board-style forum
rather than an email-based one? The collective wisdom of participants
would be laid before newcomers, questions would only have to be asked
and answered once, and people may become inspired by things written
months before. Furthermore, you could go away and think about things,
less pressure to have to respond instantly.

Less ephemeral than an email list,

--
 All the best,
 John