[Gllug] GLLUG Newsletter - 19/06/06

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Mon Jun 19 17:14:55 UTC 2006

Hello,

_Contents_

1. GLLUG Meeting Agenda - 24th June 2006
2. Need some Linux?
3. GLLUG Expedition - Bletchley Park
4. Python Studygroup

1. _GLLUG Meeting Agenda - 24th June 2006_

This Saturday we have a GLLUG Meeting in our New Cavendish Street venue
[0].

The agenda for the meeting [1] is:

1300 - Arrive, Buy Linux CDs/DVDs, Chatter, Gossip. Debug Projectors
1330 - George Wright - kNX followed by Q&A (40 minutes)
1410 - Quick Break
1420 - Dave Cross - ORM followed by Q&A (40 minutes)
1500 - Quick Break
1510 - Huw Lynes - Grid Computing followed by Q&A (25 minutes)
1535 - Quick Break
1540 - Richard Cottrill and Alex Sayle - Service Orientated Architecture
(25 minutes)
1605 - GLLUG Announcements
1610 - Retire to Green Man pub for debriefing.

I've tried to allow time for people to have a chat and catch up etc in
between the presentations. The downstairs area of the Green Man hasn't
been booked for after the meeting so people may be gathering for a beer
upstairs or downstairs - keep an eye out for the group!

2. _Need some Linux?_

During the past couple of meetings I have been selling Linux
distributions on CD/DVD. They seem to have been fairly popular as I
haven't been taking many away at the end of the meeting.

For the "bandwidth challenged" amongst us who can't download large
CD/DVD images... if you are desperately after a particular distribution
please let me know and I will *try* to have a copy available on
Saturday. Email me offlist with the details (or preferably the download
link)

The CDs/DVDs cost 50p each to cover the cost of the media.

3. _GLLUG Expedition - Bletchley Park_

The GLLUG trip to Bletchley Park [2] has enough people interested to
make it viable, but we still need a few more names to qualify for a
group discount on entry. Please join the GLLUG Social [3] mailing list
and I will start to investigate train timings and announce more details
soon.

4. _Python Studygroup_

A few years ago some members of GLLUG interested in the Python
programming language setup a "GLLUG Python-Studygroup" mailing list.

The idea of this list was to provide an environment where people who
knew nothing about Python could learn about the language (It's fun and
fairly easy to pick up), and people who had some knowledge could bounce
ideas around.

The list has been idle for about a year and I'd like to make people
aware of it again. There are around 30 people on the list - if you fancy
a new challenge join the list [4] and ask where to get started with
Python.

It's an learning environment and if it doesn't get used unfortunately it
will soon cease to exist (which would be a shame)

Thanks - see you on Saturday.

~sm

[0] http://gllug.org.uk/uploads/wmin-campus.pdf
[1]