[Gllug] How to reply to mails??

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 22 08:51:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:53:20PM +0600, Emon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This is a bit embarrassing, & I hope I am not wasting anybodys time; but
> I need to understand this clearly, cos I am a bit confused.
>
> I am using Thunderbird to download mail from my POP3 account.
>
> When I am replying to mails from mailing list, should I hit "Reply" or
> "Reply to all", what's the difference between the two??

On this list, the reply-to address is munged to be the list's address;
hitting reply will normally send the message to the list (some mail
clients will give you a choice).  "Reply to All" is normally a bad
choice on a list, since it sends a copy to the sender and the list so
the original sender receives two copies.

Some mail clients deal with mailing lists specially.  For example, Mutt
lets me press L to send a reply to the mailing list address so that I
don't have to worry what the list's policy on reply-to munging is.
Unfortunately, Thunderbird is not that smart afaik.

> And what should I do when I want to exclusively reply to the author of
> the mail instead of the whole list??

You could hit "reply to all" and then remove the address you don't want.
Alternatively, maybe Thunderbird has an option to ignore the reply-to
address when replying.

There may be an extension to Thunderbird that lets it handle lists
intelligently.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=thunderbird

--
Bruce