[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Mar 5 16:52:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006, Tethys prattled cheerily:
> Indeed (although I have worked in places that have such a scheme).
> I'd say a much simpler (and more sane) definition of a backup would be
> "any system that allows you to recover data in the event of hardware,
> software, user or environment failure. The amount of data available,
> and the time period over which it can be recovered is dictated by
> local policy. By that definition, I'm not quite there at home (no
> off site copy means I'm susceptible to environment failures like the
> house burning down). But everywhere I've worked recently has met the
> requirements.

Yeah, *those* requirements I meet, and so does my current workplace
(I keep a single encrypted backup at work: it's rather aged but in case
of disaster I'd rather be set back six months than forever. If someone
nukes the south-east I'm still a goner, but I'll be dead anyway...)

> Non-fragile media? Why do I care if a hard drive might be corrupted if
> dropped? It's in an array screwed firmly into a rack. If the rack itself
> falls over, then yes, your disks will be screwed. But in that event,
> there are probably other factors that are going to be more of a problem
> anyway.

Quite so. My long-term backups are on CD-R, and yes, they die in a decade
or so, but how often do you need decade-old backups?

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk