[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Mar 5 17:05:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 16:52 +0000, Nix wrote:
[snip]
> My long-term backups are on CD-R, and yes, they die in a decade
> or so, but how often do you need decade-old backups?

That's called an archive rather than a backup.

Incidentally - that raises another question.  What should one use for an
archive which is to last longer than 10 years, preferably without
requiring refreshing?  I'm thinking of things like photographic
collections.  I'm rapidly filling a lot of disc space with photographs.
Currently I keep them all on-line but the time will come when I want to
move them to the equivalent of an old shoe box on top of the wardrobe.
However, I do want to be tolerably sure that they'll still be readable
in, say, 20 years.

Anyone got any suggestions for a digital medium with that kind of proven
life expectancy?

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk