[Gllug] Balance weight on hard disk motor

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.net
Fri Mar 31 14:49:04 UTC 2006

I keep telling myself never to be surprised by anything but its difficult sometimes.

I may be paranoid but when I decomission a customers hd I do a secure wipe (AutoClave
3.0, 25 passes, from the Ultimate Boot CD). Then if its not going in my bits box I physically
demolish the drive (take a stanley knife to the platters(s) and bend it in two).

Today I had a hd which failed on AutoClave about pass 16 - very slow then stopped
completely - looked like over-heating.

I was astonished when I opened the case to see a slither of metal attached to one edge of
the rotational motor with three blobs of silicon.  Presumably as a balance weight - you know
like the lumps of lead they put on your car wheels when you have them balanced.

I don't know how many disks I've demolished over the years - lots certainly and I'm sure I've
never seen anything like this.

Is this normal practice ?

Best Wishes

Peter Ball