[Gllug] anti spam -- blue security

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Mar 8 11:11:22 UTC 2006

On 8 Mar 2006, at 10:43, Alain Williams wrote:

> Someone has pointed me at blue security, they essentially run a
> publically downloadable
> 'do not spam these addresses' list. A friend claims that it has
> been really effective,
> I tend to view it as a 'these are valid email addresses' list that
> the spammers will use.
>
> What they claim that what they will do is to sue the spammer. It it
> works it will only work against USA spammers (OK that is 80% of
> them), but ...

There doesn't seem to be any new concepts with this system, nor does
it seem particularly effective.  I don't think it's going to make the
slightest dent in preventing spam.  Spammers will continue to work
around these kind of whitelist/blacklist systems and spammers really
don't seem to give a flying monkies about being reported - they'll
just move between different ISPs or come up with more illegal means
to get their crap out.

Regards,

	Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk