[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Mar 5 08:52:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 00:51 +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006, Martin A. Brooks mused:
> > A backup is an indexed archive that guarantees a point-in-time
> > recovery of data to a time resolution decided by local policy. A
> > backup is distributed, is stored off or near line, and is non-trivial
> > to corrupt or delete.  A backup is on non-fragile media - a hard disk
> > drive will almost certainly not survive dropping 1 meter onto
> > concrete, a DLT tape almost certainly will.  A backup let's you see
> > what changed, when (within the above set time resolution), and
> > preferably whom it was changed by.
>
> By these definitions, I have never had a backup, I have never worked
> anywhere which had a backup, and I don't know of anyone who's had one
> either.

I don't think I've worked on any serious development which *didn't* have
a backup system much as described above (although I did start work at
one place that didn't, I very quickly changed things so that it did).

As ever, a formal description can sound very daunting, but setting up a
system as described above is not nearly as bad as it sounds.  Trying to
work without one would give me the willies.

> I'd venture to state that only truly vast companies (and Linus Torvalds
> with his distributed kernel tree ;) ) can afford such backups.

I'm happy to say that when I was running The Linux Emporium it had just
such a backup system.  I'd hardly call TLE a "vast company".

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk