[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Mar 5 11:26:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006, John Winters suggested tentatively:
> On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 00:51 +0000, Nix wrote:
>> By these definitions, I have never had a backup, I have never worked
>> anywhere which had a backup, and I don't know of anyone who's had one
>> either.
>
> I don't think I've worked on any serious development which *didn't* have
> a backup system much as described above (although I did start work at
> one place that didn't, I very quickly changed things so that it did).
>
> As ever, a formal description can sound very daunting, but setting up a
> system as described above is not nearly as bad as it sounds.  Trying to
> work without one would give me the willies.

I've only just been able to convince my current workplace that it would be
good not to ignore errors from their backup program for literally months.
A single-offsite-copy backup would be enough to make me happy.

>> I'd venture to state that only truly vast companies (and Linus Torvalds
>> with his distributed kernel tree ;) ) can afford such backups.
>
> I'm happy to say that when I was running The Linux Emporium it had just
> such a backup system.  I'd hardly call TLE a "vast company".

You had multiple offsite copies? You had a backup medium that
*guaranteed* recovery? Ye *gods*.

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk