[Gllug] recommendations for webmail software?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 23:16:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:48:31AM +0800, Richard Cohen wrote:

> And to resurrect this thread...
>
> I'm setting up a new server, and since it's going to be hosting my
> mum's and sister's mail, it needs webmail...
>
> However, based on previous experience, I've developed a dislike for
> PHP, and particularly for off-the-shelf, public-facing PHP
> applications.  They just have too much of a history of security and
> other problems for me to want to deal with them.  Ideally, I will end
> up not installing PHP on the new machine at all.

Yes: PHP has had exploits, some are badly written PHP code (ie applications)
and others are as a result of PHP having lots of libraries available and so
whenever a library (which is not really much to do with PHP) gets a problem
it is also a PHP problem ... this is rather like M$ saying that Linux
has lots of problems when it is talking about the zillions of apps in a typical
linux distribution .. whereas when you buy XP all that you get is the
operating system, MS IE and notepad.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.