[Gllug] e-mail software

J. Dudley Swale jackds at clara.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 23:14:15 UTC 2006

I can't claim to be a newbie as I have been using Linux for ten years but I
need some advice now. Can someone reccommend an e-mail program which will fit
my peculiar needs.
I am an officer of several societies and run web site domains for two of them.
This means that I have fourteen e-mail boxes on an assortment of different
domains and servers.  Almost all the boxes are pop3 only. Most of them I have
to look at every day but two of them are shared and are only mine at certain
times (we take turns at answering enquiries).
I have been using SuSE for years and always used Star Office desktop with one
icon set up for each box which worked well, I could decide which boxes I was
accessing and when I sent mails they automatically came from the correct
address.
The Star Office desktop vanished when Suse 9 came in and I am now using SuSE10
and Kmail to read e-mails. My problem is twofold: first KMail reads all the
boxes everytime, so if it is not my turn I configure KMail to leave them on
the server and then forget to reconfigure to pull them off it when it is my
turn. Second KMail sends all outgoing e-mails from the default mailbox which
means that I have to reconfigure the default between each batch of outgoing
e-mails.
Is there any software around which will do the job better than KMail?
Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk