[Gllug] still wondering about lvm

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Tue Mar 14 08:06:13 UTC 2006

Another LVM question..... I was experimenting with LVM on an old machine
with 3 disks. The LV was spread over those platters. It's (was) working
great. It seems that this is the month for disk failures as one of the 3
is now giving bad block errors. Anyway here is my question.... If I move
the three disks to another machine to extract a few bits of data I'd
like to keep does LVM worry that hda has become hdb, hdb has become hdc
and hdc has become hdd or is the header (metadata) in the PV's enough
for LVM to find what it needs and sort itself out?  The dying disk is
hda that has /boot and swap outside of the LV and I think the original
machine will throw its toys around if the bad blocks are in the swap
space. Hence the idea of plugging the disks in to another box just to
retrieve a few files.

Thoughts.... Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk