[Gllug] Re: What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 29 22:25:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Daniel P. Berrange stated:
> Out of 450 MB of VIRT size of Epiphany:
>
>  - 50 MB is locale-data (share by all apps)
>  - 100 MB is ELF libs from /usr/lib & /lib (libc, Xfree, gtk, etc)
>    mostly shared by all apps
>  - 130 MB of heap/anonymous maps (genuine mozilla data bloat)
>  - 65 MB of icons (shared across all desktop apps)
>  - 55 MB of mozilla ELF libs (genuine mozilla code bloat)
>  - 8 MB for VDSO page (placed by the OS, app has no choice in matter)
>
> Ok, so that doesn't add up to 450 exactly, but you get the idea. Now would
> I've not figured out yet is a way to identify exactly which memory pages are
> shared vs private - I'm just guesstimating based on type of object.

You might find it useful to kick up xrestop and scream at the amount of
memory in the X server that your apps are blowing on pixmap caching.

(Gecko-based browsers are especially bad at this, pushing all the
contents of all the tabs into the server...)

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk