[Gllug] Terrible weekend

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Mar 5 14:55:41 UTC 2006

Bernard Peek wrote:
> I've been managing computers for 20 years and in that time I've only
> ever had to restore files for one reason, someone deleted a file that
> they shouldn't have.

I've been involved with two major incidents where a backup regime as
previously described has saved the day.

The first was when a windows virus got inside the corporate network of a
  well known company and hosed the exchange server cluster.

The second was when an electrical fault started a fire in a rack.  The
fire was extinguished quickly enough, but not before terminally damaging
  most of the kit.

In the first instance, the exchange server was back in action the
following day.  In the second instance we had a skeleton production
setup back online in under 6 hours.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk