[Gllug] Linux hosting provider

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 31 12:27:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:30:26AM +0000, Benedikt Heinen wrote:
> >CWCS seems expensive for what you get,
>
> But that seems true for pretty much all hosting offers I've seen in the
> UK.  For the £50/month colo fee (w/ 100G/month free traffic), you're only
> a couple of quid short of a dedicated server w/ ipx-server.de (Germany) -
> with 100MBit/s unlimited traffic...

I absolutely agree, because you're comparing apples (UK colo) with
oranges (European / US rental servers).

If the OP is fully aware that all he requires is a reliable rented
server with decent connectivity to the world then it would seem
perfectly valid to go for someting cheap in Europe or the US.

But I got the impression it was for his employer and he wanted
reliable colo.  In which case I would host it somewhere nearby
(London - this is GLLUG) on hardware I spec and supply.

The cheapest offer on CWCS's page was a rental server for 100/month.
It had a 2.8GHz CPU and 512M RAM, which I do not think is what the
OP would choose if he bought his own hardware.