[Gllug] LVM & RAID

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sat Mar 4 02:03:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:45:37AM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to set up a machine and would like to use both LVM and md on
> it. The machine will have two disks, and I want them set up as a mirror
> set, with LVM layered on top of this.

Be aware that by stacking fairly complex subsystems like this you may
potentially run into stack overflows in the kernel if you are using
CONFIG_4KSTACKS

XFS on LVM on MD is one common combination which certainly didn't work
well with CONFIG_4KSTACKS a while back, although XFS is now a bit
lighter on stack usage (at least on common code paths) and I think there
is work afoot in the block layer to prevent stack usage being a problem
at all.

Redhat hide the 4KSTACKS option from all their kernel trees, from what I
gather (I don't use RH or Fedora, so I don't know for sure).

Having said all that, there are many people using the above setup
without problems, although I'm not sure I'd trust it not to fall over
should an error or exceptional condition occur.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk