[Gllug] disk problems

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 21:35:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Rich Walker yowled:
> I have this recollection of a post by a comp.arch regular where they
> explained about the time they shut down a server that had been on for
> months. When it restarted, some 10 or so of the 35-odd drives didn't
> start. Blurgh went the raid arrays...

Good grief. Which dark god did they insult? That failure rate is
ridiculous.

(I must admit I keep hearing about this failure mode, but on the few
occasions I've had cause to shut down long-running disks like that, for
moves and the like, they were happy when they restarted. I guess I'm
lucky.)

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk