[Gllug] couple of quick questions (USB stick and backups)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 23 23:41:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:49:28AM +0100, salsaman wrote:
> Will tar work on a running system ? Last time I tried this, it got stuck
> in a loop in the /proc filesystem, because /proc/<pid>/root is a symlink
> to the root filesystem. Backing up /dev is probably also not I good idea
> I suppose...

It's probably not a good idea to back up the system itself -- after
all, Linux ISOs can be downloaded from everywhere, quickly, for free,
whereas your own data is rather more precious.  Concentrate on backing
up your own data, eg. /home, /etc, possibly /usr/local/, and any other
places you use.

If by "external drive" you meant an external disk drive, then I'd
definitely take a look at rsync.

Rich.

[Oh no, have I just started another backup/mirror war ...?]

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk