[Gllug] still wondering about lvm

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 02:59:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Andy Smith said:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 01:34:18PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 13:29 +0000, Stuart Sears wrote:
>> > if it is an ext2/3 filesystem you should be able to use
>> > ext2online /device/name
>> > which will grow the filesystem to fill its containing device.
>> > you use this on live mounted filesystems.
>>
>> The lvm how-to advises against using these tools - what do other people
>> think?
>
> I was under the impression that online resizing of ext2/3 required
> kernel patches which are only present in redhat's kernels, whereas
> offline resizing with resize2fs works with vanilla kernel.

No, they're present in upstream as of 2.6.10.

> But I could be wrong.

(oops ;) )

> I've used resize2fs a lot and never had issues with it.  But
> offlines resizing isn't particularly exciting.

Online resizing followed by pvmoving on LVM-over-RAID5, now that's
a little more exciting.

(Even more so when it turns out there's a bug in 2.6.15's kcopyd which
leads to deadlocks pvmoving mounted filesystems: thank goodness pvmove
recovers well after power failures and crashes.)

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk